Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Life is Full of Choices

The other day at work I asked an older gentleman how he was doing. I was quite shocked by his response. He said, "Well young lady, I'm somewhere between excellent and superb." I told him that it's too bad more people don't have a positive outlook like that. He proceeded to tell me the importance of making choices in life. Everyone has control over their attitude and the choice to be happy or not. The choices we make now create the journey to our future. He told me to keep in mind that our choices also affect the people around us. This makes me wonder if people actually think about the choices they make on a regular basis. Do high school and college students who are texting and driving or drinking and driving realize that their individual choices could affect the communities in which they live? Many schools and organizations have programs that focus on making the right choices. The Right Choice program is/was one of the many that provides steps to making the right choices. Do you think these programs would be effective in a college environment? If this were a college program would you participate?

The older gentleman advised me to not worry about the things I have no control over, but to make the best of what I can control. The advice was passed down to him from his father and now he goes around spreading the advice to random strangers. What an inspiration? A lesson learned. We should all be more conscious of the choices we make, because after all, almost everything we do is a choice that we often take for granted.

1 comment:

  1. this is like paying it forward! challenge to everyone - - Try to get 10 people to listen to you today about driving choices and pass it on in there own worlds. Awsome concept. People often listen to real life more than the written word!!

    ReplyDelete