Monday, June 14, 2010

Incoming Text

First of all, I am guilty.

I am telling you this, because I know what you are thinking. It is just texting. I am not one of those kids that drinks and then decides to drive around for the next 35 minutes dropping people off, I am obeying the speed limit, and I have one eye on the road. No. I am probably just texting my Mom to let her know that Grandma and I are having lunch and then hitting Reiman Gardens to tour the butterfly house. I am texting my brother to see if he needs a ride back from basketball practice, to my sister to see if she wants to see 'The Last Song' at the doller theatre.

The thing is, I don't care if you are texting the president of Amnesty International-- that doesn't magically lower the risk.

And I know, I know-- you are at the stopsign or red stop light, and your fancy phone vibrates and glows and starts spitting rainbows, practically begging you to pick up and stay connected. Oh and then, you start to drive while just finishing up that text-- ten more characters-- because oh man the light turned green, and your best friend NEEDS to know when you are going to be there. 5 minutes? 10 minutes? When?

And I am guilty. Previously, this decision was up to me, to make the risk for myself and for others on the road. The decision was up to me, even if 40 percent of surveyed teens say that they have been in a car with a driver where someone felt in danger due to cell phone usage. Graphic service announcements aside, the fact is that now in Iowa the transition to it being illegal to text and drive is starting. In July of 2010, police will start to give warnings and in July 2011, the full law will come in to effect. This is detailed in House File 2456, and you might want to read about it. This is explained a little better in the Cedar Rapids Gazette.

Despite this, the decision will still be up to you. There will be officers to enforce the law, but it is still your choice whether or not to obey it. So...

What motivates you? The statistics? The risk? The law?

What works?

No comments:

Post a Comment