Thursday, June 10, 2010

Lack of Empathy? Really?

Photo courtesy Rainbow120

So, we are trying to figure out this generation. First of all, what is expected of us? What do people think that we are capable of? Because, I know we are capable of great things, but does everyone else agree?

According to a study at *University of Michigan, 'College students don't have as much empathy as they used to.' In this study, researchers looked at data of 14,000 college students. Apparently, empathy is down 40 percent in our age group. It's a dreary forecast.

What is empathy, exactly? The technical definition is: 'Identification with and understanding of another's situation, feelings, and motives.'

Here are more web definitions of empathy.

What do you think about this... shall we spy on our group and see what they had to say? I vote yes ...

Current college students are said to be less empathetic, are they desensitized? Do you find this to be true, and would it affect the safety of college students?

Katie:
I think that this could affect college students—I see girls walking alone at night after drinking, and I worry about them. Who is looking out for these people?

Nicole:
If you are with your friends, they are going to be more empathetic.

Neal:
I think based on the society we live in, we focus on the individual and we expect the individual to take care of themselves. We don’t like being lectured. I feel like discussion is more effective.

Nicole:
I agree, I feel like if you are actually talking with someone you
are more likely to listen and think about it than if it is just information.

So what is the take-away? What is the point? The point is that you reader, do not have to be a statistic. 40 perecent of college students are less empathetic-- you can be the 60 percent. Something as simple as they way we relate to people can keep each other safe. Let's prove them wrong! Great things people, let's do it. I say we can make our own forecast, and I am a fan of the sun, aren't you?

*Check out the discussed link! University of Michigan Empathy Study

1 comment:

  1. Really interesting study. Our generation really is the me generation. I think it's cool that it's a discussion your group is doing because it does raise awareness and makes people self-evaluate their actions. Hopefully it makes readers want to be more empathetic.

    ReplyDelete